• LG R510-G.ABM3A9, Quanta QL8 chassis, how to upgrade CPU?

To jest wątek ARCHIWALNY. Możesz odpowiedzieć w nim tylko wtedy, gdy Twój post zawiera rozwiązanie problemu (Regulamin forum p. 12.1).

#1 LG R510-G.ABM3A9, Quanta QL8 chassis, how to upgrade CPU?

przez Cubytus 28 marca 2016, 18:23
Hello fellow repair-men,

I have this LG R510-G.ABM3A9 computer, based upon the Quanta QL8 chassis. It is a fairly old computer, but I keep it since it has so many ports and room I modifyied it (now has USB3, second eSATA port, keyboard lighting, dual wifi cards and independent 12V/5V power supply for 3.5" HDD). My question is not about a repair, but an unsupported modification I would like to do for performance reason.

The computer currently uses the T4200 Core 2 Duo CPU, rated at 35W TDP, on a Socket P. According to the Wikipedia page, the CPU uses 1.05 to 1.15V of core voltage. Also from Wikipedia, Socket P is for Merom and Penryn CPUs. Merom has up to 4MB cache, while Penryn has up to 6MB. This is inconsistent with what the manual says (up to 8MB).

The manual says and warns us against upgrading, but doesn't say why:
Admite procesador Intel Core2 Duo/Solo/Mobile Intel Celeron ™(Tamaño de la caché de L2: 1 MB/2 MB/3 MB/4 MB/6 MB/8 MB, FSB:667/800/1066 MHZ son compatibles.)

El usuario no debe sustituir ni ampliar la capacidad de la CPU arbitrariamente. La capacidad de la CPU varía en función del tipo de modelo.

The current CPU has a benchmark of 1169 on CpuBenchmark.net. I can find CPUs compatible with the 35W TDP, but my main concern is the core voltage. I know that feeding too high voltage to a CPU won't cause much damage, but feeding lower-than-normal voltage will result in instability. It is unclear to me if the manual is right and the chassis can power a Penryn with 6MB / 1066MHz, or if the core voltage is limited to 1.15V.

So far, closely related CPUs I could find are the T9600 (benchmark rating of 1950) and T9400, both using 1.05 to 1.162V of core voltage.

Now I have several questions:

1. I have the schematic of this Quanta QL8 chassis, but am not experimented enough to check if it is possible to raise the maximum core voltage. The BIOS doesn't allow tweaking CPU core voltage. Is there a way to raise the core voltage in hardware to properly feed a higher power CPU?
Or
2. Is the vcore adjusted according to what CPU is installed, and I should not fear putting a more powerful one inside?

3. What Socket P CPU is LG referring to in the manual that would have 8 MB L2 cache?

The CPUs are not really expensive, but I would prefer to know before buying.

Re: LG R510-G.ABM3A9, Quanta QL8 chassis, how to upgrade CPU?

przez Google Adsense [BOT] 28 marca 2016, 18:23
To jest wątek ARCHIWALNY. Możesz odpowiedzieć w nim tylko wtedy, gdy Twój post zawiera rozwiązanie problemu (Regulamin forum p. 12.1).